Friday 8 March 2013

Twins



I went to my Weavers and Spinners Guild meeting yesterday  morning and did not get back to the farm until about 1:30.  There were newborn lambs waiting under the cedar trees.  Mum was just cleaning them up.  One is a husky male, the other a rather frail, small female.  I waited until they were both on their feet and had nursed then moved them into the barn.  The female has the same eye problem as Squint.  She is very small and yesterday I was worried that she might not survive.  However, she is up and playing today although her eyes need attention.  The vet has told Dave how to attend to the eyes to keep them open and avoid the surgery.  We will try it tomorrow when she is a little stronger.  At present, she, her brother and her mum are safely in the barn.



Even through the rails, you can see the difference in size between these two lambs. This often happens, especially with triplets where one lamb will be much smaller than the other two and so struggles to survive as it is pushed aside by the larger siblings.  These small lambs often are bottle fed.  However, this little girl seems to be holding her own today and only has one brother to contend with.
All of the other lambs and sheep are doing well, including blossom who is still eating well and on her feet.
It was a beautiful spring day with lots of sunshine.  I spent the day with a colleague from the guild, Mary who is a master weaver and who walked me through the process of winding my warp so I can dress the loom I have on loan from the Guild.  Stay posted for more on this adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment