Wednesday 15 May 2013

Weaving, Spinning, Knitting and Gardening

We have been blessed with glorious weather and I can hear the weeds growing as I work in my studio.  I have a spring sale coming up at the end of May so have spent as much time as possible out on my deck, dying yarns.  I have created complimentary shades of white and grey wool dyed in the same dye pots.  The results will make wonderful shades for weaving so if they do not sell at the 100 mile Fleece and Fibre Festival in Coombs on May 26, I will be making blankets all summer.

I visited the Qualicum Bay Fibre Mill in early April and finished carding the white wool from last year.  The Romney/Cheviot mix is proving to be a wonderful fibre, lofty and strong and with little tendencies toward shrinkage or felting. It was so lofty I was catching it in the air as it flew out of the carder. 

I have also been knitting.  Influenced by the Cowichan knitters I have knit two jackets, one for each of my granddaughters.  The first which I knit for Naomi's 8th. birthday has a traditional whale motif borrowed from a Coast Salish pattern.  It turned out well but I do feel uncomfortable knitting traditional patterns as a none-native knitter, even though those patterns are now in the public domain. 







So I designed my own patterns of a hummingbird and of butterflies for Emily. 

As an expert knitter will see, I had some trouble with the butterflies and would add the extra stitches to the upper wings rather than the lower wings (see the top section).  The hummingbird worked out rather well.  I am currently drafting out the patterns for sale on my web-site and will make it available along with the yarns required.  This yarn knits up well and provides good definition for the motifs.  Unlike the single ply yarns used by Cowichan knitters, this is a three ply yarn spun in Carstairs, Alberta at the custom spinning mill and is not as heavy although the result is a great outer garment which could be lined with fleece for additional warmth.  
I used small bird motifs for the front of the jacket although I have designed a smaller hummingbird motif as a substitute.  I also prefer the collar design on this second jacket.

I used this same yarn in my weaving and produced a lovely weight of fabric suitable for blankets, cushion covers and upholstery fabric.  The picture below shows plain tabby weave on the loom but I was also able to produce some lovely chevron designs in various colours - something to discuss another day.

Plain weave on the loom.

For now I am off into the garden.  I had my windows cleaned today so now I can see those weeds and there are no excuses left not to get out there and do battle.






















No comments:

Post a Comment